Camping Meal Idea Slow Cooked Pork Chops And Gravy
What could be a better camping meal idea than slow cooked pork chops and gravy? Not very much! This is a very easy recipe to make while out and about camping. We even do it once a month or so when we are at home it’s that good.
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 3 Hours
Serves: 2 to 4
Ingredients For Slow Cooked Pork And Gravy
- 4 x Pork Loin Chops
- 1 x Large Onion
- 200gm x Fresh Mushrooms
- Butter Or Margarine
- SPG (Salt/Pepper/Garlic)
- Minced Garlic
- 2 x Chicken Stock Cubes
- 3 x Cups Of Water
- Cornflour Or Plain Flour
- Deb Instant Mashed Potato (Or Boiled Mashed potatoes If You Prefer)
- Corn On The Cob
- Season pork loin chops with SPG then brown lightly in a frying pan and then set them aside.
- Chop onion and mushrooms roughly.
- Add butter to frying pan and throw in onion and mushrooms then cook until they soften.
- Add a few teaspoons of minced garlic to the pan. Add in paprika and a few cups of water then crumble in the chicken stock cubes. Bring to a simmer.
- Put the loin chops back in to the frying pan and cover with the gravy mixture. Add a bit more water if required. You want the chops just covered in the gravy.
- Cook at a slow simmer for about 3 hours – the longer and slower the better. The gravy should just be sending up a bubble or two every few seconds. Check and stir regularly and if it needs a bit more liquid just add a dash of water.
- Mix a few tablespoons of cornflour in a small bowl with about 100ml of cold water and stir to mix. Add this to the gravy mixture and heat and stir through until the gravy thickens.
- Serve with instant mashed potatoes or freshly mashed potatoes and coleslaw. A cob of corn goes well on the side.
- Don’t forget a few bread rolls or slices of bread to soak up the gravy at the end.
This is a bloody ripper recipe. It’s easy to do and the ingredients are cheap and easy to carry when out camping. The original idea for this recipe is from the BBQ Pit Boys. You can see more camp cooking tips and ideas in our Aussie Camp Cooking category.