Strzelecki Track Iconic Travel Itinerary QLD SA VIC
The Strzelecki Track is easily accessible from southern and eastern states in Australia and can be covered in just a few days of easy driving thanks to good road conditions and few other vehicles. The Strzelecki Track should definitely be considered if crossing a desert in a 4WD is on your bucket list. This dusty dirt Strzelecki Track offers some great sightseeing opportunities with its fascinating history and spectacular sights.
Travelling From QLD To VIC Without Going Via NSW Due To Covid Border Restrictions
If you are trying to get from Queensland to Victoria without going via NSW due to COVID border restrictions then the Strzelecki Track is an ideal route as it’s a bit shorter than the Birdsville Track. The route you would take from Brisbane is Cunnamulla, Thargomindah, Noccundra, Nappa Merrie, Innamincka, Moomba, Lyndhurst, Orroroo, Murray Bridge then cross in to Victoria. Make sure you are prepared to travel this route. It’s not the Hume Highway – a lot of it is gravel and can be hard on your gear. The Strzelecki Track becomes impassable and is closed after rain. Travel times and distances including fuel stops for Brisbane to Melbourne avoiding NSW including a map are shown below – follow this link.
Fuel & Basic Supplies
Fuel and basic supplies are available at Lyndhurst, Leigh Creek, Copley and Innamincka.
Camping Along The Strzelecki Track
Camping is available at plenty of spots along the Strzelecki Track. We have camped at all of the below.
- Innamincka Town Common – $5 per vehicle per night in honesty box. Toilets and shower (fee) in town
- Montecollina Bore – Free camping no facilities. It’s about 250km south of Innamincka SA along the Strzelecki Track.
- Lyndhurst Hotel Caravan Park – $35 a night. Basic caravan park with showers, toilets, water etc.
- Clarries Waterhole – Free camping no facilities about 5 minutes out of Lyndhurst
- Farina – One our favourite places to camp. It’s about 25km north of Lyndhurst heading towards Marree. Showers and toilets and don’t forget to put your $10 per person per night in the honesty box – if you don’t then may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits!
Useful Tips For Travelling The Strzelecki Track
- The StrzeIecki Track stretches for 471 kilometers from Innamincka SA in the north to Lyndhurst SA in the south.
- The road is formed gravel, with short bits of bitumen.
- While it’s suitable for conventional vehicles in dry weather, decent ground clearance is required to prevent bottoming out over dry creek beds that can cause damage underneath your vehicle – this goes for caravans and camper trailers as well.
- Good quality tyres preferably of light truck construction are recommended.
- It is recommended you carry at least one additional spare tyre to normal – the Strzelecki Track can be tough on tyres.
- To explore further along the Strzelecki Track (such as Cooper Creek water holes), you will need four-wheel drive.
- Fuel is available at Lyndhurst, Leigh Creek, Copley and Innamincka.
- It is recommended that travelers traveling into the outback be fully self-contained. Make sure that you carry plenty of fuel food and water along with recovery gear.
- Due to the lack of mobile coverage on the Strzelecki Track it’s highly recommended that you bring a satellite phone or an HF radio.
- If you are passing an oncoming vehicle slow down to avoid damaging the windscreen – watch in the distance for dust clouds as an aid to spotting oncoming vehicles
- Always check road conditions before driving https://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/OutbackRoads – you can also ask at the Innamincka Hotel or Lyndhurst Hotel.
- It was named after Polish explorer Paul Edmund de Strzelecki.
Travel Times And Distances Innamincka To Lyndhurst
Travel Times And Distances Brisbane To Melbourne Via Strzelecki Track Avoiding NSW
|Brisbane (QLD)||Cunnamulla (QLD)||790km||08:43||Yes|
|Cunnamulla (QLD)||Thargomindah (QLD)||196km||02:07||Yes|
|Thargomindah (QLD)||Noccundra (QLD)||130km||01:26||Yes|
|Noccundra (QLD)||Nappa Merrie (QLD)||199km||02:28||Yes|
|Innamincka (SA)||Lindon (SA)||197km||03:22||Yes|
|Lindon (SA)||Montecollina Bore (SA)||54km||01:07||No|
|Montecollina Bore (SA)||Lyndhurst (SA)||220km||03:49||No|
|Lyndhurst (SA)||Orroroo (SA)||301km||03:03||Yes|
|Orroroo (SA)||Murray Bridge (SA)||317km||03:42||Yes|
|Murray Bridge (SA)||Kaniva (VIC)||232km||02:41||Yes|
|Kaniva (VIC)||Melbourne (VIC)||413km||04:33||Yes|